Bi-monthly support meetings are held at the Bear Canyon Senior Center, 4645 Pitt St NE in Albuquerque. This is two blocks from Eubank and Montgomery, go north on Eubank one block to Lagrima de Oro St, and east one block to Pitt, and left 50 yards to the Bear Canyon parking lot. We are in room 3, at the west end of the building. Meetings are usually the first and third Saturdays of the month from 12:30-3:00 PM.
A map is at http://binged.it/1baQodz showing the location of the Bear Canyon Senior Center.
The following are Meeting Announcements for upcoming meetings and dates to put on your calendar for upcoming events.
Dr Gregg Franklin from NM Cancer Center speaking on SpaceOAR, a hydrogel to put space between the rectum and the prostate, reducing high dose radiation to the rectum.
Gregg E. Franklin MD, PhD
Specialties: Radiation Oncology
Position: Full Time Practice
Practice Locations: Albuquerque, Gallup
Joined NMOHC: 2005
Doctorate: Ph.D. in condensed matter physics at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL.
Medical School: Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv Israel and New York, 2000
Residency: Medical Intern, Kaiser Permanente, San Francisco, California; Radiation Oncology, Mallinkrodt Institute of Radiation, Washington University / Barnes Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, Missouri
Board Certification: Radiation Oncology
Specialty Society Fellowship Recognition: American College of Radiology, and the American College of Radiation Oncology.
Experience & Interests: 1991-1994: Postdoctoral Research Associate Fellow, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts; Staff Scientist, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Moderator: Steve Denning
And on November 4, no meeting at Bear Canyon, because it is our annual conference:
The Prostate Cancer Support Association of New Mexico will hold their Sixth Annual free conference on November 4, 2017 at Sandia Prep in Albuquerque, NM. The conference theme is “What’s next for Prostate Cancer diagnosis and treatment”. Registration opens at the site at 8:00 AM, and conference concludes at 5:00 PM.
The conference will delve into a review of the history of prostate cancer diagnosis and treatment, current and expected future scanning techniques, current risk assessment techniques, and what’s down the road for diagnosis and treatment. In addition, attendees will have an opportunity to visit with an Oncologist, Radiologist and a Urologist to discuss any concerns they may have. Detailed schedule for the day will be on our website.
PROSTATE CANCER SUPPORT ASSOCIATION OF NEW MEXICO
Conference: What’s next for Prostate Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment
A conference dedicated to the memory of Dr. Peter Lindberg
Saturday, November 4, 2017
at Sandia Preparatory School 532 Osuna Road NE Albuquerque, NM
- 9:00 – 9:15Welcome – PCSA –Steve Denning, Board Chairman
- Intro to Morning Moderator – Joe Diaz
- 9:15 – 10:00– History of Prostate Diagnosis and Treatment to date Andrew Grollman (Albuquerque Urology Associates)
10:00 – 10:15 – Break
- 10:15 – 11:00 – Current scanning tools Stephan Eberhardt, (UNM)
- 11:00 – 11:45. – The Key to Prostate Cancer Mark Scholz (Prostate Oncology Specialists)
11:45- 12:45 Lunch Break lunch available for sale on site
To enable our attendees the most time to talk with each other, and to avoid the need for attendees to go out and find a lunch site and get back in an hour, the Sandia Prep cafeteria will sell lunch and snacks. The main options are Italian and includes the following meat lasagna, veggie lasagna, fettuccine Alfredo bake with penne pasta, veggies and garlic bread. They will also have a salad bar, two size options, as well as sandwich options of turkey, ham and tuna available. They will also have the pastry and coffee stations available.
- 12:45 PCSA- Steve Denning, PCSANM Board Chairman
- Intro to Afternoon Moderator Robert Wood, retired PCSANM Chairman
- 1:00– 2:00 – Risk Assessment Panel 4 current testing reps 8- 10 min presentations each then questions from panel moderator &/or floor
- ProstateNext – Ambry Genetics- Rachel Toepfer
- Prolaris – Myriad Genetics- Bernadette Malloy
- GenomicDX – Genomic Genetics -Jessica Pompa
- 4K test – GenPath – Mohit Mathur
2:00 – 2:15 Break
- 2:15 – 3:50 -(2 cycles of 45 min each, 5 min shift time between cycles) each session on a different topic
- Initial Treatments, Urology-Dr. Aaron J. Geswaldo (Pres. Health Services, Urology)
- Initial Treatments Radiology-Ramesh Gopal (Pres./MD Andersen Cancer Center)
- Advanced PCa Treatments-Dr.Jose W. Avitia (NM Cancer Center)
- 3:50- 4:35 – What’s next? Thomas Schroeder (UNM Cancer Center)
- 4:35- 4:45 Thank you for attending – Closing remarks, PCSA Steve Denning, Board Chairman
- 5:00 Shut down – Clear the building
- AccumetRx/Urology Group of New Mexico
- Albuquerque Urology Associates
- Cancer Center at Presbyterian
- Genomic Health
- Janssen Biotech (Zytiga)
- Medivation Inc. (Xtandi)
- New Mexico Cancer Center
- Santa Fe Radiology
- UNM Cancer Center
- American Cancer Society
- Cancer Services of New Mexico
We hope to see you there.